written by- Dr.Hemant(Psychiatrist)
You love your parents? Really do you?
If you love someone, can’t you look beyond their flaws…You do the same when you are dating or married!
Then why not with your parents?
Every newspaper article on Physical Parent Abuse leaves us a little angry.. But have you thought about the more realistic and daily happening Emotional Parent Abuse..
An Abuse that 100% of children do! An abuse we take for granted.
When I see the kind of emotional Parental abuse that goes around, I take a deep breath of sadness… We finally are in the fast lane to become a society where Being Human is just wearing a fancy T-shirt!
Off late the amount of Whatsapp I get from Senior Citizens makes me really sad.
Heart broken and sad, they bring about so many points that hurt them –
1. Taking your parents for granted – Just because They are your parents so they will listen to all your bullshit!! Come on, Give them a break.. They are human!
2. Not getting any appreciation for their work – After all they gave you birth.. they are supposed to do everything.. No matter what is your age or how handicapped they are.
3. Constantly being blamed for being wrong, even when they try their level best to please you.
4. Looking at them as money or property banks.
5. Cribbing of the work you do for them, because they are ill or old aged. – After all you are now young and taking care of them is a pain for your happiness.
6. Blaming them for being inept and stupid, because they tend to favour you a little more.. its their fault they still have all their ego invested in you!
What really breaks my heart is that every single Whatsapp, email or call I have received has never been about “how these parents should handle their depression or anxiety”.. but been for tips on how they should help their child!
From giving up their property to silently suffering the emotional abuse.. Being a True Parent is much more than Being Human!
Do Share this with everyone you know.. After all so many people write “miss you dad”.. “miss you mom!” .. but still abuse them! Hope they can STOP this abuse..